For International Students
Degree Level: Masters, Undergraduate, Graduate, Postgraduate
You must be a registered Bachelor, Master or PhD student at Leiden University, and at least in your second year of studies.
Subjects: Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine, Governance, Global Affairs, Law, Social Sciences, Behavioural Sciences, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, African Studies, Asian Studies
Erasmus+ Study grants – Leiden University Netherlands 2021-22 is open for International Students.
The scholarship allows Masters, Undergraduate, Graduate, Postgraduate level programm(s) in the field of All Subjects, Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine, Governance, Global Affairs, Law, Social Sciences, Behavioural Sciences, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, African Studies, Asian Studies taught at Leiden University. The deadline of the scholarship is Open.
The amount granted is calculated based on the exact number of days spent abroad and the destination country. Erasmus+ countries are divided into three groups in terms of the amount of funds awarded:
Group 1 – € 360 per month
Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Norway, Sweden and United Kingdom*.
Group 2 – € 300 per month
Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Malta, Portugal and Spain.
Group 3 – € 240 per month
Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Republic of Macedonia and Turkey.
* Are you planning to study abroad in the United Kingdom? You can still apply for an Erasmus+ grant for the academic year 2021/2022.
You can study or do research in any of the Erasmus+ programme countries, which include the EU member states, as well as Republic of Macedonia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Turkey. Be aware that your Erasmus+ period cannot take place in your country of residence or The Netherlands.
- Your study or research must be a fully recognised part of your Bachelor, Master or PhD programme at Leiden University.
- The receiving institution must hold an Erasmus+ inter-institutional agreement with Leiden University.
- You may apply for an Erasmus+ grant totaling up to a maximum of twelve months per study cycle (BA/MA/PhD).
- The duration of your Erasmus+ period must be between 3 months (90 days) and 12 months (360 days). A duration of less than 90
- See above ‘ERASMUS+ applications under COVID-19 restrictions’ for application specifics.
- First print the online application form, then submit it online.
- Sign the printed application form and ask your faculty’s International Exchange Coordinator to sign as well.
- Send a scanned copy (in one PDF file) of the signed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two months before the start of your Erasmus+ period.
- Fill out the ‘Before Mobility’ section of the Learning Agreement for Studies. Sign the Learning Agreement and ask the relevant persons at both Leiden University and the receiving university to do the same.
- If your application is approved, you will receive a decision letter and the Grant Agreement via email before the start of your Erasmus+ period. Read the Grant Agreement carefully and sign it.
- Take the First Language Assessment. You will receive an invitation for the assessment via email from Erasmus+ Online Linguistic Support.
- Return a scanned copy (in one PDF file) of the signed Grant Agreement to email@example.com at least two weeks before the start of your Erasmus+ period.
- Send a scanned copy (in one PDF file) of the signed Learning Agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks before the start of your Erasmus+ period.
- The grant will be transferred to your bank account.
- Make sure to download the Erasmus+ checklist of all procedures to be taken care of before, during and after your stay abroad.
- If you cannot submit a required document before the relevant deadline, due to circumstances beyond your control, notify the Scholarships Team as soon as possible and at least before the deadline in question.
Additional financial support for students with a disability and/or special needs
If you have a disability and/or special needs and you are eligible for an Erasmus+ for studies grant, Leiden University can apply for additional financial support from the Erasmus+ programme on your behalf. Read more detailed information about the application procedure and eligibility requirements, and download a financial support agreement form for students and staff with disabilities.