This discovery offers remarkable information about the lifestyle and culture of the ancient Teotihuacán, which thrived during the Classic period of the Late Xolalpan-Metepec phases, between the 5th and 7th centuries CE.
The city of Teotihuacán, at its zenith, was one of the most influential urban centers in Mesoamerica, boasting a population of approximately 125,000 inhabitants and encompassing an extensive area with over 2,000 structures within 18 square kilometers.
Although the village was initially identified by archaeologist Francisco González Rul during the 1960s, recent excavations have provided a deeper understanding of its significance.
This Teotihuacano settlement reveals architectural elements, stone alignments, post holes, and three human burials accompanied by funerary offerings. Moreover, evidence suggests that the village was a hub for crafting high-quality ceramics and artisanal objects, a testament to the advanced technological expertise of its inhabitants.
The exploration, currently spearheaded by archaeologists Juan Carlos Campos Varela and Mara Abigail Becerra Amezcua, has further unveiled figurines, green stone artifacts, obsidian and flint projectile points, and other items indicative of artisan activity.
Although situated in a rural setting, the village probably maintained connections of trade and interdependence with other administrative hubs of Teotihuacán situated along the western banks of Lake Texcoco. This suggests a network of exchange and interdependence, highlighting the socio-economic relationships of the time.
One of the intriguing aspects of this discovery is the village’s reliance on self-subsistence through gathering and resource utilization from Lake Texcoco. These subsistence strategies, based on the study of Teotihuacán ceramics, shed light on the practical skills and adaptability of the villagers.
The archaeological investigation has also uncovered layers dating from the Late Postclassic Period, revealing evidence of Aztec occupation. Additionally, traces from the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries provide a glimpse into the village’s evolving history.
The excavations also exposed a system of channels that delineated chinampería spaces. These channels, reminiscent of Aztec agricultural practices, were employed for cultivating plants and vegetables.
Among these channels, researchers discovered an array of ceramic vessels, a headless seated sculpture, and complete or semi-complete artifacts originating from the Late Aztec III Period (CE 1440-1521).
The INAH archaeological team has concluded the excavation phase and is currently engaged in analyzing the unearthed materials and bone remains. Concurrently, they are overseeing ongoing construction activities in the area, ensuring the preservation of this valuable historical site.